Covid Vaccination - Health and Social Care Workers

General Practice vaccination centres have been asked to prioritise and vaccinate our elderly patients with the vaccine we are receiving. 

For employers or the self employed please read the statement below.

Hospital Hub sites are leading on the vaccination of health and social care staff working to the NHS England operational guidance issued on 7 January 2021 which outlines staff groups as including but not limited to the following:

  1.      Staff working on the vaccination programme
  2.      Staff who have frequent face-to-face contact with patients and who are directly involved in patient care in either secondary or primary care, mental health, urgent and emergency care and community settings including dentists, optometrists and pharmacists
  3.      Those working in independent, voluntary and non-standard healthcare settings such as hospices, and community-based mental health or addiction services
  4.      Laboratory, pathology and mortuary staff including funeral directors
  5.      Those working for a sub-contracted provider of facilities services such as porters or cleaners
  6.      Temporary, locum or ‘bank’ staff, including those working in the COVID-19 vaccination programme, students, trainees and volunteers who are working with patients
  7.      Frontline social care workers directly working with vulnerable people who need care and support irrespective of where they work (for example in hospital, people’s own homes, day centres, or supported housing); or who they are employed by (for example local government, NHS, independent sector or third sector).

Foster carers are not included as front line health and social care staff. They do not need to let their GP practice know they are a foster carer. However, if a foster carer is caring for an extremely clinically vulnerable child then they will be invited to be vaccinated sooner. This will be coordinated through local authorities.

Individuals who are included in the staff groups above should be directed to their employer who will be able to inform them on the plans for their organisation. Organisations or individuals who are self-employed but are included in these groups should contact the HIOW Vaccination Team at  

Register your Occupation

To register your occupation on your clinical record so that we can identify you please complete the following form.

Please also ensure we have a mobile number recorded on your record. You can do this by checking your online record here